Population: 42.5 Million
Currency: Ukrainian hryvnia UAH
Main Religion: Orthodox Christians
Hello: dobryj den’
Thank you: d’akuju
Dates in the country
The climate of Ukraine is temperate continental. The only exception is the southern coast of Crimea, where the climate is subtropical of the Mediterranean type. Warm low-snow winters and rainy summers are specific to the mild climate of the Zakarpatye region.
- Jan-01 Sunday – New Year’s Day – National holiday
- Jan-02 Monday – New Year’s Day observed – National holiday
- Jan-07 Saturday – Christmas Day – National holiday, Orthodox
- Jan-08 Sunday Christmas Day holiday – National holiday, Orthodox
- Jan-09 Monday- Orthodox Christmas Day – National holiday, Orthodox
- Jan-14 Saturday – Orthodox New Year – Observance, Orthodox
- Jan-22 Sunday Ukrainian Unity Day – Observance
- Jan-25 Wednesday – Tatiana Day – Observance
- Feb-14 Tuesday – Valentine’s Day Observance
- Mar-08 Wednesday International Women’s Day – National holiday
- Mar-20 Monday March equinox – Season
- Mar-26 Sunday Daylight Saving Time starts Clock change/Daylight Saving Time
- Apr-01 Saturday – April Fools – Observance
- Apr-16 Sunday Orthodox Easter Day – National holiday, Orthodox
- Apr-17 Monday – Orthodox Easter Day holiday – National holiday, Orthodox
- May-01 Monday Labor Day – National holiday
- May-02 Tuesday Labor Day Holiday – National holiday
- May-09 Tuesday Victory Day / Memorial Day – National holiday
- May-14 Sunday Mother’s Day – Observance
- May-20 Saturday Europe Day – Observance
- May-28 Sunday Cultural Workers and Folk Artists Day – Observance
- May-28 Sunday Kiev Day – Observance
- Jun-04 Sunday Orthodox Pentecost – National holiday, Orthodox
- Jun-05 Monday – Orthodox Pentecost holiday – National holiday, Orthodox
- Jun-21 Wednesday- June Solstice – Season
- Jun-28 Wednesday – Constitution Day – National holiday
- Jul-07 Friday – Kupala Night – Observance
- Jul-08 Saturday – Family Day – Observance
- Jul-28 Friday – Baptism of Kyivan Rus – Observance
- Jul-30 Sunday Navy Day – Observance
- Aug-24 Thursday – Independence Day – National holiday
- Sep-22 Friday – September equinox – Season
- Oct-01 Sunday Teacher’s Day – Observance
- Oct-14 Saturday – Defenders’ Day National holiday
- Oct-29 Sunday Daylight Saving Time ends – Clock change/Daylight Saving Time
- Nov-21 Tuesday Dignity and Freedom Day – Observance
- Dec-06 Wednesday – Army Day – Observance
- Dec-19 Tuesday – Nicholas Day – Observance, Orthodox
- Dec-21 Thursday – December Solstice – Season
- British citizens are allowed to enter Ukraine without a visa for visits of up to 90 days within a 180 day period
Courses or boosters usually advised:
- Hepatitis A
- Hepatitis B
- Tick-borne encephalitis
- Malaria: No
Rules of the Road
In the Ukraine, please drive on the RIGHT side of the road.
Unique Country Driving Laws
- Do not use horn in a built up area unless in danger.
- In the event of an accident it is compulsory to call the Police and report the accident.
- Child Safety / Seatbelt Laws
- It is compulsory for all inside the vehicle to wear a seatbelt.
- Children under 12 and less than 145cm tall must be seated in the back.
- Please note – It is the child’s parent / guardian or vehicle renter’s responsibility to fit the child seat.
- Urban areas: 37 mph (60 km/h)
- Motorways: 80mph (130km/h)
- Rural areas: 55 mph (90 km/h)
- Unless indicated by road signs.
Compulsory Equipment in your vehicle
- First aid kit
- Warning triangle
- Fire extinguisher
- Please ask your Avis representative, whether snow tyres are compulsory at the time of your arrival.
- Police: 102
- Ambulance: 103
- Fire Department: 101
- European Emergency Number: 112
Places to Visit
A detailed route showing where we went overlanding and exploring. We jotted down the routes we travelled on a physical map which travelled with us from Australia to the UK, then transferred this to a digital form using Google Maps (KML and GeoRSS Layers)
These are exact appropriations, maps differ between brands and converting from paper to digital may lose some details in translation. This should still show in great detail our route.